Hey!

Thanks for the visit! I'd love to hear back from you, your questions and comments are part of the work in progress!

Monday, June 18, 2007

Jumping Ahead

Today I take a huge jump across the years to the present. Something I have had to learn to cope with culturally is my children’s schooling. All 3 of my children attend the local public schools. They started in kindergarten, and the eldest is now in 8th grade.

Japan’s schooling system basically goes like this:

  • K4 (kindy for 4 years)
  • K5 (kindy for 5 years)
  • 1-6th grade (elementary school)
  • 7-9th grade (Jr. High)
  • 10-12th grade (Highschool)

The only years that are mandatory are the elementary and Jr. High years. Kindergarten and High School are not mandatory. Actually, you are considered an adult at age 16, though you can’t drive until 18 and you can’t drink or smoke until 20 (hmmm—that rule is not strictly kept—up to a few years ago I could’ve sent my daughter to the local store to pick up a pack of beer for me or a bottle of wine, no questions asked, but they have clamped down on it. Nevertheless, it’s pretty common to see young kids in the Jr. High bracket smoking, my daughter tells me the Jr. High 3rd grade naughty-boys all congregate in the stair-well to smoke during school time).

While I’m happy my kids go to school and are getting an education, I find myself in a constant battle with the rules and requirements, esp. as they get older. Here is a recent conversation I had with Janina (13):

M: Hey kiddo, I think you’re hair looks really nice up in a high ponytail. Shall I help you do it this morning?
J: Umm, no Mom, cause I can’t wear my hair higher than the tips of my ears.
M:WHAT!! What do you mean!!
J: It’s the rules Mom.
M: What are they gonna do to you if you put it up?
J: Well, probably I’ll get lynched (and this is the actual word they use in Japanese) by the seniors.
M: Jr. High SUCKS!!!

And the list really does go on. Everything is dictated, my daughter is even afraid to put her hair up after school or on weekends going out in case a senior sees her and she gets beat up at school.

There’s an odd variety of other ‘rules’: First years must wear white socks, but 2nd and 3rd years can wear black, only 3rd years can wear a sweater or scarf to school in winter, no bangles, baubles, accessories of any kind, those are the ones I know about, I’m sure there are many others.

Another conversation with my daughter:

J: We’re having a musical competition at school, I finally learned the song!
M: That’s great!!
J: But the seniors threatened to kill us!
M: What??!!
J: They want to win the competition so they said if any of us do anything other than sing, they’ll kill us! We can’t clap, or move, or dance…
M: Seniors SUCK!! How can they get away with that!

That’s the usual ending of those conversations—it SUCKS!!

It seems that the seniors have a lot of power here, and they keep the juniors in a state of fear and control. It’s quite ridiculous, and in looking at society, it’s where the whole “respect your elder—pay obeisance to your elder—your elder is always better than you” mentality begins. While I believe in respect, I believe respect goes towards anyone, older, younger, it doesn’t matter. This school form of “We’re going to beat you up if you wear green socks!” respect is not respect, it’s bullying, which Japan has a major problem with. And where are the teachers when these things happen? I’m sure the teachers are aware of it, but rather than tackling the problem or trying to change the students’ mentality, they let it go and say, “That’s the way it is…”

Some things are changing though. Because of the high rate of suicide, esp. the recent rash of Jr. High suicides, people are taking a closer look at the education system and what goes on in students’ lives, as well as listening closer to the silent cries of the students. For the meantime, I try to keep close communications with my children, educate them on what I consider good values of respect, and let them know when I think something happening at their school is just plain stupid.

Some would say I should tell my daughter to buck the tide, but I decided to leave that choice up to her. There’s a time to fight, and a time not to, since she will be the one to bear the consequences, she is the one who has to make the choice to stand up against it. I would hate to see her come home with a black eye over something as dumb as her hair, I just hope she stands up to fight for things that are really important—defense of the weak, right and wrong and good morals.

4 comments:

Aimee said...

What a great blog idea!
It would be fun to collect birth stories from us gaijin moms in Japan. Of course I think you & I only had our babies here so can't compare it to a birth in America where they actually speak english & have pain medication available. I was so jealous when my sister told me she didn't feel the worst of it because of the epidural.

MareAmi said...

Yeah, uniforms and sock color at a public school is pretty rough.

Kylie said...

How fascinating.
I can see why you needed to start this blog, if I was experiencing all those disparagences in my everyday life, I'd want to let it out too. And you do so so eloquently and insightfully.

I especially love the way you noticed that what they call 'respect' is actually bullying. It is awful, but in some ways, cultures with those strict hierarchal structures seem to run more efficiently than, say, American classrooms where individuality and independance is so highly touted. Not that efficiency is the be-all end-all by any means, and perhaps this is the reason for the pack mentality we see with Japanese students who come here to Australia to study English. They're often so afraid to have original opinions in class, etc, and the teachers find it extremely frustrating.

grandma marylin said...

I think the Americans could learn a lot from the Japanese. We have become a lazy and spoiled nation. We don't often give up personal freedom for the good of the group and our morale as well as morality, I believe is at an all time low. A lot of people on welfare and the dole. People feel they should have the right to sit around and do what they want while other people should have the right to work. Too many free loaders here.
Japan could learn from America as well. Here we do have the right to step ahead of anyone else if we have found the way to do it. We are not ear-marked to stay in our position because of our birth into it. With an idea and hard work a person is only limited by his own dreams here. If someone wants it, it can most likely be done here. It is easy to get an education and put that education to work for you. There is no line to wait in. Personal freedom reigns supreme here. Everyone has the right to dream and change.
Trouble is a lot of people don't have the gumption to get off the couch. Those people should really live in Japan and get a little discipline. If we could mix the two cultures together we could have the perfect one!